The History of Jim Hill High School
Jim Hill, located in West Jackson, was named after an outstanding leader who served with distinction as National Republican Committeeman from Mississippi. The school had its beginning in 1912 as an elementary school, and in 1952, to accommodate students in grades seven through twelve, the school was expanded to a Junior-Senior High School.
For 14 years the school operated as a junior-senior high school. Because of growth of the city, the continuously increasing enrollment and the expansion of the curriculum, the high school was moved to the current building in 1966 leaving the junior high with a new name, the W. W. Blackburn School.
The Jim Hill High School moved on Fortune Street in southwest Jackson; however, the street was renamed Coach Fred Harris Street in honor of Coach Fred Harris who served as a teacher, administrator and basketball coach at Jim Hill for nearly 20 years. Coach Harris passed away in 2009, but his legacy lives on at the "Hill". (Courtesy of Jackson Public Schools)